Music Banter - View Single Post - The Beginner's Guide to...
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2009, 10:17 PM   #180 (permalink)
BTown
super cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamesedream View Post
Starting with something positive, as a huge Nirvana fan who's heard everything the band's done I'd say you picked some great songs. Many of the band's best songs are represented, especially the picks from Nevermind, and kudos to you for not just going to the singles and making a hits collection.

However, my honest opinion is that the mix itself is a mess as a beginner guide. It's far too heavy on live versions. More than half of the mix is live. That's just not right with a band who has 4 studio albums and plenty of other recorded material. When making a beginner guide you want to pick the best quality version of a song possible, and rarely is that a live version. If it's including something like a live version of "Polly," which they played differently at times live, or something on Unplugged that was only documented live, that's one thing - but otherwise stick to the albums and other studio recordings.

Also no new fan of the band needs to hear the old Fecal Matter demos or Kurt demoing songs like "Sliver" with a 4 track on an out of tune guitar. Remember, those things may have a certain charm for us as die hard fans - but that's because we already love these songs. You want to draw new fans in with the stuff that has the most instant appeal, but again I commend you for not being lazy and just putting on the songs everyone's heard 8 million times.

Finally, as much as I love Nirvana's covers, you're narrowing a classic discography down to 26 tracks and 5 of them are covers. That means about 20% of this beginner's guide to a band is focusing on their performance of songs they didn't even write.

I'm honestly not trying to be a ****, but that's my take on it.
I really appreciate that, that was my first comp ever and I definitely did come on strong so to speak with all the raw recordings and I definitely should have taken into consideration that no one besides die hard nirvana fans would give two ****s about his 4 track demos.
I really should have that of more what everyone else would like, not what I like. I'm a big fan of all the rare, raw Nirvana stuff.

If I do recall I did get into Nirvana by of course listening to all those polished Nevermind tracks and slowly working my way into getting a better liking for Bleach and I'm at were I am now.

Again, thank you, in future comps i'll take some of the things you stated into consideration.