Music Banter - View Single Post - The 10 Song Shuffle
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2009, 02:30 AM   #29 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

all i know about AtD is the track they had on tony hawk 2 and they split to form the mars volta and... that other band.

so here's my list, i'm too old to have ADD so i'm gonna make a little comment for each tune.

Elis Regina - Bala Com Bala - never heard this track before, it's from a thievery corporation compilation of old school verve acts. most excellent old school bossa nova but i'm not sure i dig the reworking. having a cheesy keyboard instead of a real piano is disappointing.

RHCP - Walkin' On Down the Road - HELLS MOTHER-EFFING YES!!! old school chilis at their best. flea pulls off an amazing bass line that supports slovak's minimalist guitar parts on the track without ever sounding overpowering. i'll be pleasantly surprised if anything tops this track.

Stan Getz & Luis Bonfa - Ebony Samba - from the Jazz Samba Encore! album, i have yet to hear a melodic jazz album i prefer over this one. Maria Toledo's vocal's are subtle yet divine, never singing actual words but adding that certain special element to make this track great. although ultimately i prefer the alternate take.

The Beatles - Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except me and my Monkey. - i guess it would have been considered super trippy back in the day but quite frankly there are only a handful of beatles tunes that do it for me, this is not one of them.

Frank Zappa - RDNZL - i can always count of any randomizer to pull at least 1 Zappa tune i've never heard before. it's track 12 from something i don't know. it's like all those other Zappa instrumentals that starts with random jazzy sounding instrumentation that peaks for a noodly fuzzed out guitar solo, weird percussive break, then another busy out. really digging the fact that it goes to a piano solo for the last 3rd.

Mondo Generator - Open Up and Bleed for Me - while i do enjoy a fair amount of MG's stuff i find Oliveri to be a bit one dimensional in his songwriting his main theme seems to be 'WAAAHHHHH!!! look at how messed up I am'

The Pixies - Debaser - i know i 'should' like the pixies, a friend of mine hooked me up with their catalog, but ultimately, i think they're one of those 'time and place' bands and never really clicked for me. on the plus side, any time i hear them i automatically remember cruising around town in my friend's old '92 ford tempo about 10 years ago, and 'that' makes me happy.

Frank Zappa - He's so g.ay- one of those Zappa songs where he just talk / sings throughout the song, the 'straight' guy talking through the track annoys me, but it's nothing compared to the backing track.

Nirvana - Paper Cuts - another track that eluded my ears over the years. sounds like nirvana trying to do an alice in chains tune. interesting as an oddity but that's about it.

Nirvana - On a Plain - live in tokyo february 19, 1992. it's a by the numbers take on the album track, nothing really notable with this version.

-----

overall i was expecting the zappa double hit, didn't see the double nirvana coming at all, especially not back to back. either way RHCP for the biggest win of that list by a whole freaking lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote