Music Banter - View Single Post - Favorite 70s Prog Band: Redux
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2009, 06:18 PM   #71 (permalink)
boo boo
Dr. Prunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
There`s certainly a lot of wit in the lyrics of both Ian Anderson and Peter Gabriel and I think there is also a lot of tongue-in-cheek with Roger Waters as well.
Seriously, people who say prog lacks humor obviously aren't paying enough attention.

I mean you can't possibly get more humorous than Gong or Sinclair era Caravan.

Quote:
I think as far as Prog bands go, Rush do seem to put more of an emphasis on their lyrics, especially given Neil Peart`s admiration on Ayn Rand.
I've never been too fond of Peart as a lyrcist to be honest, though that has never tainted my enjoyment of their music, I don't really care that much about lyrics.

Quote:
I`d never really listened to too much by Van der Graaf Generator but listened to one the albums that you recommended and besides liking the album the album a lot, I was very impressed with Peter Hammill`s vocal range, on further investigation found John Lydon of all people, was greatly influenced by his vocal style. Kinda of strange really that a punk artist would draw inspiration from a prog one but then again I`m sure there are similiar musical disparities out there.
Roxy Music, Can and Hawkwind have also had a strong influnce on punk music.

The more miminalistic and "rock n roll" oriented prog bands tend to be more popular among non prog fans, then again VDGG is neither of those things, they were one of the most bombastic prog bands of them all, so it is odd that Lydon would consider himself a fan and even credit them as an influence on Public Image Ltd.

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote