Music Banter - View Single Post - Recent Changes: Questions/Complaints/Comments etc
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2009, 10:11 AM   #395 (permalink)
Son of JayJamJah
Occams Razor

It's a good rule, I never use it, in part because I remember what it was like in the 1960's and early 70's in particular, but mostly because I know how offensive it is to people today. I just see no reason to say a word, that is never essential to conversation for me, if it's likely to offend someone.

Those other slurs Lucifer Sam mentioned are different in my experience, I also don't use those, but I've met someone of the race they are slurring that was offended by it. Also none of them are nearly as prevalent within daily life where I and most of the members of musicbanter live. While I agree with the sentiment of your post Sam I see this as a worthy exception that regardless of it's merits purely on equity does the site no harm and potentially a lot of good.

It's not about abrogating free speech it's about abrogating pointless emotional arguments, or what I think is now called "flame wars".

That's how I see it anyway, does that make sense to you?...anyone else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardboard adolescent View Post
i prefer foreplay. the orgasm is overrated.
If you're posting in the music forums make sure to be thoughtful and expressive, if you're posting in the lounge ask yourself "is this something that adds to the conversation?" It's important to remember that a lot of people use each thread. You're probably not as funny or clever as you think, I know I'm not.

My Van Morrison Discography Thread
Son of JayJamJah is offline   Reply With Quote