Music Banter - View Single Post - Where I'm At...
Thread: Where I'm At...
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2009, 11:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
+81
Rats off to ya!

I like this thread idea.

I started my musical journey as a young lad basically with a third mainstream classic rock and two thirds modern pop punk type bands. I started with stuff like Nofx, Rancid, Ozzy Osbourne, ACDC, Dropkick Murphys, Lagwagon. From there my tastes focused more so just on punk, ska and grunge-type rock like Black Flag, Minor Threat, Dead Kennedys, The Planet Smashers and Nirvana.

After loads more punk and such I was all about (vaguely) 90's indie bands like Melvins, Dinosaur Jr., Sonic Youth, Fugazi, Eric's Trip, Treepeople, and At the Drive-In. Around the same time I couldn't get enough of noise music, probably brought on by Sonic Youth. Huge Mike Patton fan too. I suppose the same time I began to love calm slower music a lot more. This is just a bit of background on some of my musical growth. I think all the punk and experimental based music made a big impact me and my ideas of what music can be. The D.I.Y ethics as well.

I still love most all of the bands I mentioned but I think my tastes are rooted in indie music. I've developed a love for electronic/dance, reggae and dub music. I'd like to delved into jazz and more into reggae. I don't listen to many reggae artists but I feel the little bit I have listened to have had a large effect on my bass playing within the last year (dance music too). Blah blah blah wow, I'm rambling.

More recently I think I've been trying out a lot more albums of various styles not knowing what to expect and just seeing what clicks. This is probably partially due to Music Banter. I don't think I've ever really been closed minded with music I just think now I'm making a larger effort to listen to albums/artists/genres I'm unfamiliar with.

I've recently fallen in love with the new Health album Get Color at first listen. My favorite album I've heard lately is Just Colour (coincidence?) by The Lollipop Shoppe. I think I'm going to dive further into 60's psychedelic/garage rock. I listened to the Nuggets collection many months ago and I think that was a good starting point. I've discovered that Dredg is just not the band for me.

I apologize for the long winded train of thought and my lack of writing ability.
+81 is offline   Reply With Quote