Music Banter - View Single Post - Albums You're Digging II
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2009, 01:57 AM   #1715 (permalink)
Seltzer
Fish in the percolator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATCHMO View Post
A big hush to all 90's R&B/neo-soul naysayers (which, ironically would include myself). This album and Eryka Bhadu's Bhaduism are my two exceptions to the rule.
I love Brown Sugar! Have you heard Voodoo? That too is brilliant, and having Pino Palladino on bass definitely helps things.

I bloody love this album - there's something about it that makes it fit together so well. It's rootsy but not as rootsy as the Meat Puppets, it's angsty but not as angsty as the Violent Femmes, it's aggressive but not as aggressive as what went before it, and it's an 80s post punk masterpiece but not anywhere as protracted as Zen Arcade or Double Nickels. It just works!

I remembered liking Waiting by the Bridge that Anteater contributed to a MB compilation months ago so I decided to dl the whole album today. After just one listen I can tell it's something special and a kick in the balls to anyone who thinks modern prog is all lousy. It's fairly eclectic overall but it is redolent of Gentle Giant, Freak Kitchen and Yes in particular.