Music Banter - View Single Post - Where I'm At...
Thread: Where I'm At...
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2009, 06:49 AM   #10 (permalink)
Zarko
Barely Disheveled Zombie

I've never understood the idea that people have to keep on looking for new music to replace the older stuff they've listened to. I mean, I download a ****e load of music, more than I probably should, but in the same vein, week to week, there is almost a 100% chance that one of Nick Cave/Dead Can Dance/Amon Tobin will top the charts, unless I make a massive new discovery band wise. Maybe its the 'LastFM' age of music listeners, where its cool to seem diverse week to week... Screw that, I'm happy with The Bad Seeds taking up nearly 20% of my total plays at over 2000 listens. I USED to be a bit like this in school. Not 'elitist' but I had a small level of self satisfaction finding the next good thing and introducing my friends to it. Luckily I am past that.

In conclusion, things are same old same old around here. Download a few albums a week, realise most are ****, go back to the albums I love. I do go through phases though. A week or two ago I was in a pretty heavy hip hop/trip hop phase, where I was scouring undeniably average blogs for one or two gems. When your favourite rap band only released the single album (Rubberoom), it sucks trying to find anything like it. Did find some good stuff though, like Dalek, Fat Jon The Ample Soul Physician, The Phonosapiens and others.

Though I do consider myself to be a jazz fan, it is perhaps the most volatile genre in finding an album I actually love. The classics are fine, but in general bore the hell out of me (Unless its Mingus), and it isn't exactly a flooded market nowadays. My 'Jazz Journey' began with an anime (Cowboy Bebop) which set me off on the wrong foot, with the advertisement of 'bebop' when it didn't have any 'real' bebop sounds in it. It was good, and I still love the soundtrack, but it was an odd stepping stone. Nowadays I am a nujazz, Jazz-Electronic fan mainly, with the occasional post bop/avant garde album coming across my palette. Recently got Nils Petter Molvaer's new album 'Hamada' from overseas, which was a treat, really like it, very earthy.

Electronic is a fairly new genre for me on a wide spectrum (A year and a half maybe) and it still almost never gets boring. Although it term 'Electronic' lends itself open to so many styles, it should take a while.

Rock music is the real culprit at the moment. Most of the stuff I am exposed to is pap, I have never been a huge rock fan, but all the other areas just massively appeal more to me now. Never been a prog fan other than KC or PF, not a metal fan. Actually, in general, guitar driven music is becoming a bit of a bore. Its probably due to the fact that I am picky as hell with my music and I haven't really put in an effort to find anything I love recently, but see how that progresses.

For now I will open the same 8 blogs a day, see what new stuff they have to DL, if nothing then it'll be a quiet day for my net, unless I am feeling particularly peckish and try to find another new blog w/ DL's galore.
Zarko is offline   Reply With Quote