Music Banter - View Single Post - Where I'm At...
Thread: Where I'm At...
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2009, 01:42 AM   #29 (permalink)
zeppy111
16, so?

Pre-musicbanter

I have grown up in a household where the music never turned off and the quantity of it was always immense. Those days were from about day 1 of my life till about 10, where I had no real direction of my own when it came to music, but instead was lead by my parents immense collection of 80's/stadium rock/random outbreaks of brilliance. Most of the stuff that filled my ears as a little kid included: Journey, GNR, Heart, Bon Jovi, Crowded House, Duran Duran, REO Speedwagon, Styx, ect... You see where I am going with this list.

Once I hit the age of 10 I began to explore a bit for myself and like most kids of the modern day have done, gone down the nu-metal sought of route: Korn, Slipknot, Limpbizkit ect, luckily that phase only lasted a couple months before I proceeded to greener pastures.

The next phase included much of what occured in the first phase, with two major bands sticking their heads out in front: JOURNEY and 10000 Maniacs. This phase here lasted over a year until about 13.

You guessed it, every kid needs a metal phase in their life, and this one was going to last awhile. From about 13-until I joined MB really 3 months ago, at 16 years of age, it was basically all metal, with a few exceptions. Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Pantera, Slayer, Sepultura, Motorhead, You name it... Along with the copious amounts of metal were a few bands that led me to love music properly and join MB in search of more of the sought, most notably THE CLASH!!!

Since joining MB

I joined MB at the beginning of 2009, but only made my first real post and started participating about 2 months ago. Since joining MB, my tastes have changed 20000 fold and 90% of the music I did once listen to does not appeal anymore, yet their are some staples from my history. Some bands that have stuck with me through the past phases are: The Clash, The White Stripes, 10000 Maniacs, Led Zeppelin, The Doors.

My collection has almost doubled in the space of two months and is consistently growing. Some of the threads that have got me going in new directions are:
Comus's 1001 Albums: I must have either bought or downloaded 30-35 of the albums on there and very few of them I dislike.

Jackhammers Thrash Thread: Need I say anymore? Some great bands and awesome music which really opened up the genre to me.

Jackhammer/Bulldogg's Reggae Thread: This has probably been the biggest influence on me. Although I don't own many of their suggested albums, I have gone out and bought quite a few reggae albums and am totally hooked on the music as a whole. The reggae collection is still very small at 16 albums, but is forever growing and has had the biggest influence on me as a person and in my musical taste, than any other single element has before, music related or not. That is pretty special to me.

Needless to say, MB has been a real-eye opener as before coming here I thought I knew a lot about music as I could mouth off to 99.9% of the people I know about music, now I have been chopped down to size and come to appreciate the vast amount of music that has brought me here and the music that I will/will not discover in the future.

Thanks MB.

My Blog (album of the day): http://musicfromthesouth.blogspot.com
zeppy111 is offline   Reply With Quote