Music Banter - View Single Post - Anteater's Top 30 Albums: * Free Booze inside *
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2009, 11:20 AM   #40 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

Genesis - Trespass (1970)

1. Looking For Someone (7:06)
2. White Mountain (6:42)
3. Visions Of Angels (6:50)
4. Stagnation (8:48)
5. Dusk (4:13)
6. The Knife (8:56)

Introduction:

The ever underrated and oft-dismissed sophomore record released before Phill Collins and Steve Hackett turned Genesis into one of the key bands which would define progressive rock during the years of its popularity, Trespass is nevertheless a curiously compelling musical assemblage and one of my two most beloved progressive rock album of all time, and a unique experience to those more familiar with their classic period (Nursery Cryme through Lamb Lies Down on Broadway).

For one thing, the sound is noticeably folksier/moodier thanks to the presence of an exceptionally talented 12-string guitarist by the name of Anthony Phillips and the atmospheric John Mayhew on drums (the latter of which unfortunately died earlier this year; R.I.P!). Peter Gabriel's love of soul music is more apparant here than on later Genesis releases, as his vocals at times are noticeably rougher and even bluesy at times, while Mike Rutherford rapes on bass and cello. This is also where pianist Anthony Banks started using his Mellotron for the first time, and his enthusiasm sizzles to dizzying temperatures many a' time here in all the right places.

Secondly, Sceptics take notice of the song lengths and lyrics as you listen; this is about as straightforward as Genesis ever got in the songwriting department without sacrificing instrumental prowess or their distinctive pop sensibility. Although they haven't completey shaken off the amateurisms of their debut yet, unlike that particular work its actually a chore to dislike anything here. In fact, although if follows the coattails of King Crimson's legendary debut, this is arguably one of the two or three major albums which shaped progressive rock into a force that would be quick reckonable for the next five years, and even today you will find people who are influenced by the songs on this album.

Oh, and I think the album cover is fantastic! It's a perfect "cover" for this sort of book.

Introduction:

1. Looking For Someone: "Looking for someone! I guess I'm doing that." belts a Peter Gabriel from thirty-nine years in the past, thus kicking off this album on a fantastically bluesy note, before the guitars and drums come busting in. It fades in and out between guitar and Mellotron between Gabriel's lyrics, changing tempos sharply but not jarringly so. The track's got quite a gallop to it at times, but with the drums and keyboards on display more often than the organ-based rock n' roll sound that was common at the time. There is also some wonderful flute and piano dispersed about, with nary a note wasted. The last minute is particularly bombastic, and overall you can see the blueprints of many a progressive rock track from this one song alone. Still, a fantastic opener nevertheless.

2. White Mountain: Mid-tempo track that is closer in spirit than anything else here to the Genesis of Foxtrot and SEBTP; quieter than 'Looking For Someone' but not as much as some of what will come later on the record. Gabriel's vocals display the more dramatic direction he would take in later albums and his solo work, backed by the vocals of his bandmates and generally superb playing all around.

3. Visions of Angels: A song about lost love and how people can spend their whole lives without ever looking for it and yet call themselves alive. It's straightforward but beautifully done, and the execution is epically so.

4. Stagnation: Oooh yeah, now we're cooking. Stagnation is my absolute favorite song on Trespass, dealing with the story of a guy who wishes to cut himself off from the world around him. It starts off with Gabriel at his most beautiful, and has one of the best-worked musical build-ups this band would ever commit to record. I also love the lyrics here:

"Here today the red sky tells its tale
But the only listening eyes are mine.
There is peace amongst the hills,
And the night will cover all my pride,
Blessed are they who smile from bodies free-
Seems to me like any other crowd
Who are waiting to be saved."

5. Dusk: Something of an acoustic piece that bleeds gorgeous from it's twinkling start to strumming finale, and my third favorite overall. Highlights go to the brilliant flute around half way through.

6. The Knife: Beginning with some heavy organ and drum interplay, this is the only track that Genesis kept on their setlist after changing lineups for some reason. Gabriel spats in full blast here through this minature epic, a power hungry revolutionary on a bloody conquest to attain freedom. In particular, the sequence from the middle of the four minute mark up til the end of the song makes this one of the best album closers I've ever had the pleasure of hearing, and a real treat for first-timers especially.

Conclusion:

Although many would disagree with me, I consider this a masterpiece on par with Foxtrot or Selling England..., if for nothing else than the fact they never quite sounded like this again. Everyone was in top form here, including Anthony Phillips who would have an incredibly awesome solo career after leaving Genesis due to stage fright. It's only a shame that my favorite Genesis record is also their most underrated, but I guess thats part of what makes it special for me.

So whether you love or hate progressive rock, this is definitely something to sink your claws into at some point. For of the many albums I love from the genre, few get my regard to the degree this one does.

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote