Music Banter - View Single Post - The 40th Anniversary of Woodstock
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2009, 09:00 AM   #9 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
"Woodstock - 3 Days of Peace & Music"

What do you think of Woodstock '69? How do you feel about the event, the bands & artists, and the music?

Who had the notable most performance?
Do you think the music was better then?

(the line-up taken form wiki)
Woodstock 69 is something that I dig out and watch every 3 or 4 years and even today as a music festival I find it unsurpassed. The whole 3 days are littered with outstanding performances starting with Ritchie Havens banging away on his guitar, the display of Santana highlighted by Mike Shrieve`s drum solo, watching both Grace Slick and Marty Balin perform with Jefferson Airplane, the vocal performance of Joe C*k*er, watching Alvin Lee of Ten Years After performing "Goin Home", the 25 song set by the Who probably gets my vote as the best performance especially "See Me, Hear Me...." and of course Jimi Hendrix winding down the marathon to a depleted crowd after the rains.

Personally, I envy those spectators that were there and witnessed the event as it happened.

As for the music, well that`s always going to be subjective but anybody with a general appreciation of music cannot fail to be impressed. I suppose, if somebody isn`t keen on 1960`s west coast american bands (which probably made up 50% of the set) and wasn`t too keen on either blues rock or folk rock, then watching the concert might be wasted on them. Saying that though, you could even forget the music and just watch the whole thing as a documentary and still be impressed.
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote