Music Banter - View Single Post - Aesop Rock
Thread: Aesop Rock
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2009, 11:41 AM   #45 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATCHMO View Post
Aesop's lyrics sometimes take some time to really permeate to that point in your psyche where they really hold the most meaning. That being said, there's also a lot to his lyrical writing that simply exploits the texture and inherent connotations of the words he uses.
He is sometimes cryptic, but there have definitely been some "aha" moments where his meaning has come to me long after I've listened to the song for years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by matious View Post
Don't get too hung up on Aesop Rock's lyrics, a lot of it still doesn't make sense to me (halo kibbles?) It's all pretty abstract.
I recommend listening to Float or Labor Days, both albums are a little more understandable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProggyMan View Post
What Satchmo said. You don't have to understand every single line, I'm sure many of them aren't understandable unless you're the man himself.
Thanks SATCHMO, matious, and ProggyMan, for your responses. I'm glad to learn I'm not the only one to think Aesop Rock's lyrics are cryptic and hard to understand! They seem to me like a stream of consciousness, where one idea is reminding him of the next, and that the next. I'll try to pay more attention to the texture and connotations rather than the actual literal meanings...and I'll give Float and Labor Days a try. Thanks for the suggestions.

--Erica
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote