Music Banter - View Single Post - Zarko's World of Assorted Movies + Kung Fu
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2009, 10:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Zarko
Barely Disheveled Zombie

Just warning, with the kung fu movies, I intend to put in some of the better fight scenes, so if you are intent on watching the movie, don’t watch ones with the *** above them. Thought I would start with a classic.

8 Diagram Pole-Fighter (1983)

"Amitabha Buddha"

Plot wise, the story revolves around a family, the Yeng family, respected and feared across the country. Anyway, the main 7 Yeng brothers and their father are lured into a trap by the government who fear that they may turn on them one day in a bid for power.

The Yeng family are extremely proficient with the Guan Do, a Chinese halberd. Either way the family get attacked by a vast army of government soldiers. Eventually they are overwhelmed, The 4th Yang brother is captured, the 5th escapes and the 6th escapes but goes insane (In a good subplot ).

The story revolves around the 5th brother who does not attempt to go back home (As the 6th brother does), but instead he tries to find peace, and join a Buddhist temple. However, he cannot be accepted, because he is far too angry and aggressive (Noted in a scene where he kills a wolf puppet rather than simply defanging it).

All the while the army continues to hunt the brothers down; else they tell other influential families of their treachery. The movie culminates into one of my favourite kung fu endings of all time.

The main actor is Gordon Liu, who was actually Pan-Mei and the lead Crazy 88 dude in Kill Bill (I know, not a stunning achievement, but nonetheless it’s a place you may know him from).

The film is widely regarded as a classic due to the high quality martial arts scenes, however, there are plenty of other reasons to like it. The Buddha’s incessant reply of only ‘Amitabha Buddha’, and the final battle scene to ‘Defang the wolf’ are glorious.

A movie that should be easy to find due to its popularity as a kung fu movie, this is definitely one to check out. Only watch the subbed version though.

Crappy trailer

Final Fight Part 1

Probably the most magnificent things you will ever see in a serious kung fu movie…

Last edited by Zarko; 08-17-2009 at 03:26 AM.
Zarko is offline   Reply With Quote