Music Banter - View Single Post - This I Believe There is / is not a God
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2009, 07:17 PM   #184 (permalink)
SATCHMO
Al Dente

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
I feel people (eg. some athiest and modern philosphers) do try to disprove the existence of God. The reason they want to disprove the existence of God is so they can attack and undermine Judeo-Christian thought.
But seriously, what is Judeo-Christian thought? Creationists and fundamentalists would like you to believe that it is representative of a literal translation of the old and new testaments of what we call the holy bible as filtered through over 2 millenia of translation and interpretation.
Furthermore, and I've asked this before, what is god? Do we have an adequate description of What we're seeking to prove or disprove. A description that is founded purely within the bounds of ontological thought. In other words, a description of god as a "being that which created the universe" is still not a description of "his" inherent nature, but a description of an act or occurence that has been attributed to god.
This isn't an attempt to prove or disprove the existence of god, but an attempt to show that we've been asking the wrong questions. The problem with a literal interpretation of biblical scriptures is simply that in our attempt to understand and prove, or disprove, a literal understanding of god as alluded to in ancient scriptures the figurative and the metaphorical often go completely ignored, and that is usually, in cases such as this, where the truth lies.
SATCHMO is offline   Reply With Quote