Music Banter - View Single Post - Physical discipline against children .. okay or not?
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2009, 04:18 AM   #318 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebase Dali View Post
Vegangelica...

I really wish you'd start raising your own children instead of letting someone else's statistics do it for you.
Statistica are important. For me, this discussion was never about you and how you were raised and turned out well. Imagine if the discussion was this; if you could have society with no weapons, you could think there would be less violence. If that was the discussion, you'd then have numbnuts writing stuff like "I've fired a gun and I never killed anyone!". It has such little relevance to what you're talking about but once you get started discussing discipline, these sort of arguments get pushed around all the time.

At the start of the thread, the discussion was about discipline in a more general sense and also about wether or not physical disciplin should be outlawed or not. In order to make that law, if you ignore for a moment arguments like "the government shouldn't poke their nose in how I raise my kids", you may instead look at how physical discipline affects society. Reading through this thread you will find a wealth of scientific articles and other sources providing evidence that corporal punishment on kids comes with a trend of negative consequences.

If the stuff I've read in articles and studies so far is correct, physical discipline's general influence on society is more violence, more problems for children and more crime. The idea that you can have physical punishment and still turn out alright is a completely moot point. The idea that physical punishment gives a trend where people turn out better has also been argued to death, but like Evangelica, I've seen no evidence for this claim and people who push it only ever talk of their own personal experience .. which are, again, besides the point.

We reached this point in the discussion many pages back and so I stopped discussing then (no good counter-points were made) and now I'm just wondering if people missed it altogether and started over from scratch.