Music Banter - View Single Post - This I Believe There is / is not a God
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2009, 03:43 AM   #187 (permalink)
Astronomer
we are stardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by toretorden View Post
First, I don't think our universe needs a god. I believe the universe and everything in it, even our thoughts, is the product of a long chain of fairly predictable events, cause and consequence. I hate it when people say "we're here by accident" - no we're not, the emergence of life on our planet was most likely a highly probable event and it's subsequent evolution is simply a matter of cause and consequence. Believing in a universe that runs without any need for a higher intelligence to govern it puts god out of his job.
I too believe that life is a highly probable event and that its evolution was a matter of cause and consequence. But, even before life developed here, where did the universe come from? If you believe in the Big Big Theory, that the universe has expanded from a primordial hot and dense initial condition at some finite time in the past, then where did that come from? Don't think I disagree with you, because I don't, but thinking about how and why the universe came about just really trips me out.