Music Banter - View Single Post - Health Care Legislation to cost $1 trillion
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2009, 06:58 AM   #121 (permalink)
Barnard17
My home? Discabled,

I'm not sure BD is claiming a direct link, maybe a more general statement. I certainly find it very amusing that such an advanced, prodigious and proud nation doesn't view universal health care as a firmly founded right of it's citizens. Especially when it looks to it's neighbours and friends and has nothing but sneers for them for caring for the sick and ailing.

In defence of the NHS: I'm glad I didn't break my leg in the US | Society | The Guardian

'Evil and Orwellian' – America's right turns its fire on NHS | World news | The Guardian

A little food for thought for you there. A couple of comments regarding the second article: the guy that glued the crown into his tooth was looking for a local NHS dentist to do the job but did it himself because he could only find dentists with books open to do this privately which he would have had to fully pay for. The situation is no different in America, except he wouldn't have had the opportunity to even look for an NHS dentist in the first place. Do a bit of digging and talk to the right people there's no doubt an endless list of Americans who take up home dentistry to avoid the cost. As for the brain tumour patient, even if the entire suggestion weren't a fallcious rumour he would still have the option to get his care from a private health service but would have to pay for it out of his own pocket. Which is already what happens in America ...

The anti-health care arguments being used by right wingers really baffle me.

Vita brevis,
Occasio praeceps
Barnard17 is offline   Reply With Quote