Music Banter - View Single Post - Physical discipline against children .. okay or not?
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2009, 09:28 AM   #326 (permalink)
Inuzuka Skysword
Existential Egoist

Holy ****, I see problems in this thread.

For one, anyone who claims that just beating a child will change their psychology is a bit nuts. If the beating does permanent physical brain damage or I guess just physical damage at all then I will agree with you. However, if you think that smacking a child on the rear with a belt in such a way that does not leave a permanent mark will change the person's psychology then that is where I completely disagree.

These "scientific statistics" are run by the same people that claim that our character is simply based on our influences. Bull****. Again, I pose the question why anyone does not desire to have the free will over our choices. Fatalism, or any sort of determinism, is a horrible belief that will in fact damage your psychology more than any physical discipline. These statistics would seem to suggest, if you believe in determinism, that how you are brought up is what makes who you are. That's right, you are just a collection of influences. Every choice you have ever made has not been yours. You are chained to everyone else for the rest of your existence. Great system of beliefs, isn't it?

Let me put it this way. My parents brought me up in a Christian home. They made me go to church. I loved reading the Bible. I loved being a Christian. At least, I loved being a Christian until he moment I chose not to be one. Statistics might possibly show that Christian parents who raise their children in a Christian home, will probably end up having Christian children. That is how you would look at the situation. That is because you look at humans in a collective sense. However, I look at the situation as if I, and all children, are individuals. I chose not to be a Christan for a reason just as the children who did become Christians chose to become Christians for some particular reason. Statistics ignore that part though. That part, being the very thing that makes humans "human."
Inuzuka Skysword is offline   Reply With Quote