Music Banter - View Single Post - Best Bob Marley song
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2009, 12:26 PM   #61 (permalink)
5-Track
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB1975 View Post
None of the above

The Lee Perry produced ones are by far the best recordings they (Wailers) ever did
After Peter Tosh left it all went a bit EURO REGGAE

I think of most of Bob's work as a genre somewhat evolved beyond pure reggae - not superior to, just slightly different from, with different goals and aims and influences and effects.

If I look at Bob's songwriting, there are a few songs-as-songs that would be brilliant in ANY genre (I tried to do a down-tuned metal take on "3 Little Birds" but my bass player refused, perhaps wisely)

And if I was going to pick my favorite reggae-as-reggae, it probably wouldn't be Bob at all ... though it would probably be either some early Lee Perry production featuring the Upsetters, or maybe something from The Harder They Come (I know, uncool cos it's well-known, but hell, there's good tracks on there) ... I tend to listen to reggae (mainly early dub) for DAYS AND DAYS AND DAYS and then not at all for a long time, so I'm not super up on which songs are which, it's just an environment I sometimes like to hang out in ...

... sorta like the music the space-Rastas listen to in Neuromancer...? (Or is it Mona Lisa Overdrive?)