Music Banter - View Single Post - Bulldog's Armchair Guide To Elvis Costello
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2009, 11:08 AM   #111 (permalink)
Bulldog
why bother?

Just letting anyone particularly concerned know, I'm in the process of going through each review, replacing and deleting necessary video, picture and download links, correcting typos and so forth. Hell, I might even do some re-reviews if I feel like it's worth it. All this'll probably be finished soon enough.

But for now...

The Bootleg Corner

Bootleg number 6 (and probably the last one I'll post here) comes from a very interesting corner of Costello's discography, this being his 1998 collaboration with a certain Burt Bacharach (you'll find my review of it here). This next bootleg saw the same band Costello and Bacharach had recorded Painted From Memory with (which included good old Steve Nieve among its ranks) supporting Bacharach's compositions and Costello's lyrics and vocal parts on tour. This particular one is the audio recording of the Sessions At West 54th gig - officially released on VHS in that same year of 1998 (it's still unavailable on DVD to this day, so it's quite a collectible item these days).

As far as I know, the videos I included in my sneakily-hotlinked review in the above paragraph are all from this bootleg. As such, the entire gig is available for your viewing pleasure on youtube. For those who never read my review, you can probably guess from the name Bacharach what kind of music is on this file I'm about to link you to - slow-burning, gentle and friendly torch songs. Easy listening when all's said and done and, given the top-drawer sound quality, a very good listen if you can stand some soppy music for grown-ups.

Here it is then. Same old story - click the picture for the download link and enjoy! Worth it if only for the fantastic, newer arrangement of Accidents Will Happen if you ask me.

Elvis Costello & Burt Bacharach
Sessions At West 54th - 18/10/98

1. Intro
2. Baby It's You
3. What the World Needs Now
4. Toledo
5. This House Is Empty Now
6. Tears At the Birthday Party
7. I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself
8. Painted From Memory
9. Accidents Will Happen
10. My Thief