Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2009, 04:26 AM   #3896 (permalink)
adidasss
Slavic gay sauce

^^ I hated it. But I also hated Totoro...*gasp* You won't be surprised to hear that I also dislike (or just don't get along with) kids. I guess I can't really bring myself down to the level of a 3 year old...:\

Anyhoo:

The treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948) - John Huston - I'm a bit ambiguous about this one, on the one hand it was very engaging, I found myself completely suckered into taking sides and rooting for the good guys, I liked its ancient Greek idea of fatalism but on the other hand, intellectually I find it's not a very credible case of character development (I'm sorry, I've never been sold on sudden changes in personality unless the change is triggered by severe trauma. Bogie's transformation therefore struck me as somewhat silly, almost cartoonish near the end, complete with the maniacal laughter). It's also a very frustrating watch so I'm not sure what its replay value is, but let's compromise and give it a 7.5/10

Best boy (1979) - Ira Wohl - Not much to say, obviously given the subject matter (a retarded 50-something year old is being prepared for independent life) it's a given that it's going to be a very emotional documentary. I was on the verge of tears several times. Extremely melancholic viewing. 8/10

It happened one night (1934) - Frank Capra - Very charming (and apparently very influential and innovative) romantic comedy which actually made me laugh a few times (not common for older films), but the concept is a little too familiar by now (Roman holiday anyone?). Was pleasantly surprised by Clark Gable's performance (haven't seen many of his films though). 7.5/10

Umberto D (1952) - Vittorio de Sica
- Not nearly as good as The Bicycle thieves (which for me is one of those very rare perfect 10s) but a very solid and moving neo-realist movie nonetheless. The far too obvious amateurishness of the main actor was its main flaw for me. 7/10 (I'm being controversial again aren't I.... )

Last.fm
adidasss is offline   Reply With Quote