Music Banter - View Single Post - Radical Feminism *WARNING* There is a pic of Beth Ditto involved
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2009, 02:11 PM   #18 (permalink)
VeggieLover
Music?! Lets boogie!

Good, then we essentially agree with eachother on the big issues. Perhaps you should request another change in the title...rather than targeting feminism you should perhaps proceed to bitch and moan about all the ridiculous radicals and fundamentalists that want everyone to think and act just like them. Oh wait, thats the way the world will always be, people will be idiots! Ironically, thats exactly what I'm doing...wasting my time bitching and moaning about other peoples idiotic behaviors and ideas.
Setting that aside....

Quote:
So you want to get rid of cultural diversity?
of course not. Where did you even get that idea? equal does not mean identical, thats the point. Besides, cultural identities are established based on isolation. Regardless, the more connected the world becomes, the less dramatic cultural differences will get, but that has nothing to do with this topic!

Quote:
I know, but it doesn't justify personally insulting women who do happen to fit that ideal
I have yet to meet a true feminist who does this. Granted, I haven't met a whole lot of people due to where I live and my age, and thats where our arguments kind of hit a wall. I think, if you took the time to actually get into a so called "radical feminist's" mind, you'd find that these women are speaking out on behalf of the women who DO feel opressed by the images you are fighting for. The women who are comfortable regardless are what the media says are beside the point, they are not the object.
However, I am convinced that your statement has some merit, and i sorely regret that your exposure to feminism has consisted of such individuals that cannot see the big picture and who are therefore mis-representing the cause.

Quote:
those are all values that ring true for most female leads in Disney films
True. Which is why i personally don't have anything against disney movies (i own probably every one that was made before DVDs became popular ) But i can also understand where they get kind of a bad rep. All the so called ugly people are also mean and evil. Therefore, the elementry conclusion reached is: "if i am pretty, i will be nice and well liked. if i am ugly, people will hate me"

Quote:
And again my problem is that radical feminists do to true feminist ideas what Fred Phelps does to true Christian ideals, they make a mockery of their cause and give it a bad reputation.
well then for goodness sakes make your case around that specifically rather than condeming the entire movement. You say its clear that your problem is with the radicals, but you consistantly use the word feminism independantly of any mention of these radicals. You aren't being as clear as you think you are, and we can't read your mind, fortunatly

Quote:
It doesn't bother me what the f*cking media does, and feminism is based on the idea that women only know how to do what other people tell them, and I know that's not true
Just because it doesn't bother you doesn't mean that it isn't an important issue. All people (regardless of gender) are (potentially) highly influenced by the media. There are endless other factors that contribute to eating disorders and other image-obsessive behavior, but the media is an easily targetable, population catering, genre with a lot more wrong with it than "pretty girls"

Quote:
That's a stupid argument, first off we all take our ideas and values from others, there's nothing wrong with that it's human nature. Also you could make the argument that women only want to make themselves unattractive for the same reason.
Thanks, i really appreciate it, calling ppl and their arguments stupid really helps you sound intelligent. Of course its human nature to take our ideas from others! thats my point! We just live in a time where its incrediblly difficult to build a good self image/morals/etc. amoung the constant stream of images and advertisments that is being thrust upon us day in and day out. We could just turn off the TV, but media, if used correctly, could be a tremendous power for good (or at least moral nuetrality). Women can think and act for themselfs, as you said, THUS feminism! However, we are all so used to the negative images we see that we form opinions and biases without even realising it. The point (regarding the media) is to reinstitute a pattern of thought. You interview my fellow highschoolers, and you will be appalled at the level if inactivity that exists in their minds.

Quote:
I don't hate her because she's ugly, I hate her because she's ugly and she crams it down peoples f*cking throats.

Just a little respect for other peoples ideals and preferences would be nice, if I find someone to be ugly, so what? I don't tell them they're ugly personally, so in return they shouldn't get naked in front of me, call me a sexist and expect me not to tell them what I think.

If people don't like something about you, ignore them, and that includes having the common courtesy not to rub it in their face. Women like Ditty who make a public event out of posing nude for a magazine and get pissed when people give their opinions are only demeaning themselves further.

In other words. A fat ugly woman getting naked in front of me knowing damn well it's gonna get a disgusted reaction is the equivalent of farting in someones face and then bitching at them for gagging.
either you live in a completely different level of logic than the rest of us, or you totally contradict urself here. If people don't like something about you, ignore them and do whatever the hell you want. Ok, thats consistant. Then you say, "oh, but while your at it, make sure your pleasing all the di.cks in the world who think your an ugly bitch." You don't have to look at her, im pretty sure she doesn't come into your bedroom at night and "fart in your face." if she's comfortable with getting naked for a bunch of cameras, then good for her, the good thing about media is that you CAN turn it off or put it down or whatever. we who have the discretion to do so.. should (and should then proceed to improve it so that we dont have to) But there is this thing called freedom of the press, and we aren't ever going to achieve a pure little media that anyone and everyone can and should watch without extreme censorship (which, i think you will agree, is not desirable). If you dont like looking, then don't go seeking out the pictures.
Personally, I think her behavior stems from a very deep low self-esteem, but what do i know.
"Not remotely! Because iocaine comes from Australia, as everyone knows. And Australia is entirely peopled with criminals. And criminals are used to having people not trust them as you are not trusted by me, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you."