Music Banter - View Single Post - The Anthill - Anteater's Reviews of the Curious & Obscure
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2009, 07:44 PM   #65 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

Friendship Time - S/T (1975/2006)

Track Listing

1. Anonymiteten (8:30)
2. Engine (9:13)
3. Clouds (8:36)
4. Martins Lilla (3:01)
5. Ombadidilio (7:48)
6. Watersong (6:53)
7. Crawling Up (3:50)

After three damn months of searching, I finally got ahold of this hellraising and criminally unknown slice of classic prog-rock, and GODDAMN what a find it is!

Built from a fantastic lineup of dual guitar, razor sharp bass, drums and some vocals here and there, Friendship Time were in existence for a mere six years or so back in progressive rock's heyday (1970-1976), before breaking up due to financial constraints and a failed contract with Virgin Records back in 1975 despite the existence of recorded material. The mastertapes, however, disappeared for nearly three decades after that until a former member rediscovered them in his attic in 2004. Two years later, the best cuts were remastered and issued on CD in 2006...and the result is, to put it lightly, mindblowing beyond belief.

Imagine Yes back in 1971, except with two Steve Howe's on two guitars (a nod to Wishbone Ash perhaps), no keyboards, Chris Squire playing bass on crack cocaine and a drummer who makes Neil Peart and Bill Bruford look like grade schoolers on Grade-F drumkits and you'll have a general idea at just how hella' dynamic these guys sounded back in 1975 when this was recorded. And with none of them older than 18 at the time!

Albums like this that make me a fan of this genre and time period. There's a quality about the playing here that's nearly gone from the scene today. It makes one wonder where and when the hell this kind of music really vanished, cause it certainly wasn't punk's fault!

So anyway...I recommend this unknown gem heartily to those who love that really drum n' bass emphasized sound that Yes possessed circa The Yes Album or Fragile...or if you just want something to blast out your speakers that sounds amazingly vibrant all these years later.

P.S.: This is a very rare album, which is why it took me so damn long to find. If you like what you hear in the below vid and want an up, feel free to PM me!

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.

Last edited by Anteater; 08-22-2009 at 07:37 AM.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote