Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Tool Thread
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2009, 11:47 PM   #59 (permalink)
Astronomer
we are stardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Maynard started out as a comedian, but he ended up going towards music anyway. He said so in an interview.

You ignored the rest of what I said about their metaphors being uncreative or simple. They try too hard to seem intelligent.

...Comedy is lighthearted, even black comedy. The point of comedy is to make light of a situation or event, and yeah, critique can be funny.

Tool is progressive metal. I haven't heard anyone disagree on this.

Their songs are usually 6 minutes long, and it's not uncommon for them to be longer. Stinkfist is pretty much a couple chords, H does have more than a few basic chords, but then it gets ****ing plastered with them, Hooker With a Penis is monotonous (but hilarious), a lot of Aenima is like that. Lateralus is a bit better, but parts of it still suffers from up down up down monotony. 10,000 Days is so, SO ****ing boring. It's loaded with filler, and the songs that aren't meant to be filler, (mainly Wings for Marie stuff) is just really, really long with microscopic changes, which they pass off as complexity.
I have heard plenty of people disagree with Tool's status as progressive 'metal.'

I agree with you in that Stinkfist and Hooker with a Penis are both some of their most basic songs which get a bit monotonous. H is also not a favourite of mine. They are only 3 songs. Most other of my favourite songs by Tool are littered with crazy odd time signatures and complex odd-timing guitar. Many of their songs conists of guitar/bass/drum work which isn't repeated at all, in fact I love that they can have so many great riffs in songs and not not repeat them. Personally, I think Lateralus is fantastic. 10,000 days has some great songs on it like Vicarious, Jambi, The Pot, Rosetta Stoned, and Right in Two. There are a lot of boring fillers on that album but they're overweighed by some fantastic songs and concepts explored.

You say that their songs go for 6 minutes or even longer. Well... length is a huge aspect of what prog is. You'd be hard pressed to find any type of progressive band that has short songs.