Music Banter - View Single Post - Where I'm At...
Thread: Where I'm At...
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2009, 12:30 PM   #38 (permalink)
savannah
afrocentric

i always come back to texas music,.....i cant help it, it was bred into me,....
some of my earliest memories are momma singin me jerry jeff walker and guy clark songs,....so thats really my comfort zone, i always come back to it,...and no matter where my musical exploration takes me, its always on the back burner,....its like comming home from a much too long vacation

around third grade or so my step mother really took her toil on the relationship with my dad, and books and music were damn near the only way i could find a connection with him,...and it was that yerning for a bond with him that made me really dive into classic rock the way i did,....neil young, crosby stills and nash, zepplin, the allman brothers (he is after all from georgia), traffic,.....most of it has stuck much longer than my affectionate feelings tward my father,....and i guess i have to thank him for that, because,...well,...its just good

when i hit jr high i went through the normal 90s grunge and then goth phases, though the only thing that really stuck were the pixies, pearl jam, and nin

there were a few summers where i spent on st simmons island with a band of slightly older, way cooler than me, bohemian kids i fell into at a coffee shop,....they smoked cloves ciggs and listened to jethro tull and tori amos,...i learned to play chess that summer and read frank herberts dune,....as the cliche would have it,..it kinda changed my life,.....we were novelties to each other, though they influenced me more than i entertained them

in high school there was a resurgence in the texas scene mostly due to robert earl keen and pat green, but it opened up the door to so many new texas artists that i quickly embraced and started sneekin into bars just to be a part of,.....because of that i made me revisit my roots of classic rock and classic texas due to influance and because it made me feel like i had some kind of foundation,....often in that scene you find so many that are just there for the social aspect, but it really became a way of life for me,....i also started smokein pot with a crazy german who was 10 years older than me and introduced me to the dead, panic, medeski martin and wood, jam bands,........i latched hold really quickly to that

it was easy to move from jam bands to reggae, and that transition also fell into the summer season,.....which, just fits, ya know? jimmy cliff, i loved jimmy cliff

for me everything musically builds on each other,....i love to throw myself into band, and then find out what they were/are influcenced by and then explore that,.....its all like a book that the chapters are out of order, but in the end it all makes sence

the kyle tenure really opened me up to blue grass, which is vastly underrated if you ask me,....grisman, dan tyminski, chris thile,....great stuff

my friend jake has really renewed my faith in rock music made after 1982,.....the strokes, the white stripes, sparklehorse, spoon, kinds of leon,....i thank jake everytime i see him for that,.....he just blushes

so there are the high points i guess,....

best musical moments:
(in no order of importance)

sittin through a cold decemeber rain, in my truck on the court house square, at three in the morning circa 20 years of age,.....and cryin the whole time i listen to neil youngs old man, and realizing thats my dad

cross roads guitar fest at fair park, with my good buddy david, and realizing that john mayer can hold his own amongs all these 'guitar gods' i was so jazz hands about

guy clark at poor davids pub with a audience so into it they stopped ordering drinks

drivin through dallas' downtown lights at 6 years old, singin la freeway with my mom

sittin on the leslie cabinet

following around pat green for a month and livin on warm beer and allsups burritos

the old lady that was only there for cocaine

not diein of hypothermia during music fest at steamboat

sunday song swaps at luckenbach in front of the little window where you get your beer, and the weird guy with the flute that always plays moondance

south dallas ghetto blues bars, and having no business in them

accustic shows at antones

et. al.

all that time, wasted
i wish i was a little more delicate
i wish my
i wish my
i wish my
i wish my
i wish my name was clementine - sarah jaffe
savannah is offline   Reply With Quote