Music Banter - View Single Post - Guy's Gallivant Into Music
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2009, 10:55 AM   #17 (permalink)
zeppy111
16, so?

Default Weekly Albums #7

Album: 1. John Martyn – Bless The Weather
Year: 1971
Genre: Folk/Rock

After going out on another whim of downloading and downloading this, without any previous listening of John Marytn, not even a Last FM snippet, I am amazed.

To begin with (My first listen) I really had to sit down hard and listen to it, as the first impression I got was, “Oh my, please can someone turn this off, this is ****e, how can anyone listen to it?” Then the other day it came on randomly so I decided to give it another go and another and another… You get the point.

Five listen later, the album has really grown to me, and I am going to stick my neck out and say this is in my top 3 favourite albums from MB.

It all begins with the master like guitar playing, which is prominent the whole album through, which would be good enough without any vocals for me. But, there are vocals, those oh-so Scottish vocals which almost take you into the Highlands and make you feel like you are back in the days of William Wallace and Co. A complete album from back to front lyrically, musically and artistically.

Highlight: Bless the Weather

Album: 2. Scott Walker - Scott
Year: 1967
Genre: Rock?

First off, I have sadly never heard of Scott Walker before visiting Bulldog’s Last FM page, so I really have no background with it.

The one thing that grabs me from this album is the power of Scott’s voice and how it can override everything else. Most of the music on this album has little to no-appeal to me personally, but I think that is because of the dominant voice bursting through the speakers at me.

So, this is more so a shout out to people to check this album out than an actual review.

Highlight: Amsterdam

Album: 3. The Velvet Underground – Velvet Underground & Nico
Year: 1967
Genre: Art-rock, Experimental

Possibly the most reviewed album on these boards, I don’t think a novice like me could tell you guys much new and fresh about this album, instead I am going to just say that this album is an absolute masterpiece, and I think possibly the greatest album ever, but time will tell about that.

You could brake down the album into certain parts, such as Lou Reed’s contribution, or any of the other band members and just sit there thinking to yourself WOAH! What are these people and how did they create this cacophony of noise and possibly when you could fit in a trip to get a hearing aid in your upcoming week.

For those of you, who have this album, or any of VU’s music, pass on this, but anyone who doesn’t… I am ordering you to experience this album. NOTE I say experience, not listen as putting this album on is truly an experience of a lifetime.

Highlight: Heroin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio View Post
some really great stuff in this thread, i'll be sure to check in on this
Cheers.

My Blog (album of the day): http://musicfromthesouth.blogspot.com
zeppy111 is offline   Reply With Quote