Music Banter - View Single Post - Bombing the moon?
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2009, 11:08 AM   #19 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
So far there has been like 50 expiditions to the moon (both manned and un-manned, some orbited the moon & others landed on it) and all of a sudden you are worry about microbes on the moon?
No, I'm not worrying .. Maybe I should've been more clear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
There are a few ironies of bombing the moon. The scientists want to bomb the moon to see if there is water on it. But what are they going to do with that information, there is the problem of the Moon Treaty; all natural resourses are essentially protected to some degree by the treaty, so it is doubtful that the water if found would be used. So if the experiment is to satisfy their curiosity why not send an un-manned probe, why use a bomb?
If the moon treaty is a problem, then the moon treaty can probably be negotiated in the future. They are using the bomb I guess because it's cheap, simple and a technology which is well known and tested. You bomb, a spray of stuff comes up which you take pictures of and you can then tell from the pictures what that spray-cloud contains. It's a way simpler solution than sending a robot or something to drill down and then retrieve it somehow.