Music Banter - View Single Post - Your Musical Week
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2009, 02:25 PM   #24 (permalink)
sidewinder
Engorged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
Bitch Magnet[/CENTER]

Yup another Post Hardcore band though very short lived. Their first EP was produced by Steve Albini but they decided on a different sound with their 2 other albums.

[CENTER]
I'm finally checking out this album, Umber, and it's pretty darn good. It got it combined with the EP Star Booty which I listened to yesterday and was not impressed with. It lowered my expectations for the album, which turns out was a good thing, because I'm impressed with Umber. I'm not saying it's the best thing I've heard in ages but it's good. Where the EP was pretty raw and fast-paced punk without much melody, this album is a lot more easy going in a Slint/June of 44 way. It's not just like them, but it has the same kind of mood. So that's good. Though the video above doesn't really provide a sense of the overall mood of the album, it's not the best and probably the reason it took me so long to even bother getting this album. Now I'm looking forward to their second album as well, though I might wait till I give this one another spin or two. So thanks Jackhammer for the reco.

It also doesn't hurt to bump this thread as I liked it quite a bit. The last.fm thread just doesn't deliver the way this did, even though we tried.