Music Banter - View Single Post - Radical Feminism *WARNING* There is a pic of Beth Ditto involved
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2009, 12:54 AM   #88 (permalink)
Astronomer
we are stardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebase Dali View Post
Um...
What rights that men have that women do not?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano View Post
I don't think there is anything left for women to feel they are treated unfairly any. MAny aspects of our society have been drastically changed in order to facilitate women who feel they are treated unfairly.
If you read my original post in this thread you will read that I was fired from my job purely because I have a vagina and ovaries. I got pregnant, I got fired. Pregnancy is a biological circumstance. The father of the baby got to keep his job. Despite me because perfectly capable of working, I should have the same right as the male to be able to keep my job. Also, nobody would hire me because of my circumstances.

Sexual harassment towards women in the workplace is still a serious issue in many places. So is domestic violence towards women and rape. Women should have the right to feel safe at work and in society in general. So do 'unwritten rights' like double standards in attitudes in society. An example: if a man sleeps with a lot of girls he is worshipped and called a stud. If a girl sleeps with a lot of guys she is shunned and called a slut.

I could go on. But my point is that this stuff still happens all the time in society and so feminism still plays a vital role. Read my original post if you want more detail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano View Post
So women sometimes get paid a dollar less than men at some jobs, well in actuality men are just better at some things than women are. And women are better at some things than men are. Men and women are simply different, therefore complete gender equality will never occur. Its simply impossible to treat both men and women exactly equal because we are not equal, there will never be a universal benchmark in our society that produces an equal dichotomy between men and women, it just wont occur.
I agree with you that men and women are biologically different and each have their own specific talents/ domains. But this is totally different from being discriminated against BECAUSE of your sex. Men and women will never be exactly the same because they are biologically different, this is true. But their rights as human beings should be as equal as possible. This is what modern feminism aims to achieve.