Music Banter - View Single Post - Radical Feminism *WARNING* There is a pic of Beth Ditto involved
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2009, 01:06 AM   #91 (permalink)
Astronomer
we are stardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano View Post
If you were fired for being pregnant, you have a winnable supreme court case on your hands. Thats absolutely ridiculous, may I inquire as to who you worked for?
There is a workplace law that states if the business has under 150 workers, they can dismiss anyone without having a reason. I worked for a business with under 150 employees. But I am a member of a workers union and I have known women who have been fired when they became pregnant and the employers used a different excuse so that they didn't get in trouble. It happens all the time. Studies have also shown that employers are more likely to hire a man over a woman because the woman may eventually get pregnant and want maternity leave. I know all of this because when I did get fired I tried to take it to court/ to a union but there was nothing I could do. Basically, workers rights are still not 100% equal when it comes to being female.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano View Post
Also, the sexual harassment issue/domestic violence reference. I believe that this is something that occurs in nature as well. Its the fact that men are generally stronger and bigger than women, thats also something that will never cease to exist. You cant blame that on society, you can blame that on individual incidents that occur because men can simply overpower a woman and men are generally hornier and hit on women with far more inclination to do so.
Firstly, men being stronger than females DOES NOT give them the right to sexually harass them/ rape them/ hurt them. Likewise, just because men are 'bigger' and 'hornier' this also DOES NOT give them the right to treat women in a derogatory manner.

Secondly, you can blame it on society. Society gives off a lot of negative messages about how women should be treated. You can see it everywhere - in the media, in workplaces, in people's general attitudes. It is often these attitudes that society holds that gives men the idea that this type of behaviour is okay.