Music Banter - View Single Post - Guy's Gallivant Into Music
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2009, 11:49 AM   #19 (permalink)
zeppy111
16, so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
Another update, another 3 very interesting albums. Quite the thread this John Martyn's a guy I've heard a lot about but never investigated when it comes to his back-catalogue (I'm sure I'll see to that changing soon). The VU & Nico album is one I listened to an insane amount but not so much anymore (I hardly touched my copy of it for years). Still a top-drawer album, but I just never really get round to listening to it these days - a John Martyn-esque situation with me.

As for Scott Walker, I've said quite a few times before on these boards that he's one of my absolute favourites. As you say, there's a certain power and commanding air to his voice which makes him one of the most unique talents in all of music to me. You're spot on with your opinion of the album there as well, as it's one I don't find myself coming back to very often at all. The 4 solo albums Walker released in the 60s map a kind of evolution of him as a solo artist, which is why Scott 3 and especially Scott 4 are the ones I find myself listening to the most. And, of course, his later works are a totally different kettle of fish altogether.

Basically, if you like this song and/or this one, then I couldn't recommend both albums enough. If you're up for a quick overview of his first 4 albums, I did do a comp of them in that Beginner's Guide To thread right about here.
Gald you are enjoying the picks.

I would definitely advise you to check out John Martyn in the near future. Im sure you'll have no problem with links but if you need just shout. You won't be dissapointed, especially if you enjoyed the video.

I will admit I am going through quite a Velvet Underground phase at the moment. I only ever had the S/T and the album with Nico, but I recently got Loaded and am getting White Light/White Heat as we speak, they really seemed to have hit a spot. Personally I prefer them alot more than Pink Floyd, which im guessing would be quite a fair comparison.

Well I am gonna pick up those albums as soon as the new month comes, so maybe I can add something more after I have actually listened to them. I can see why he ranks so highly in your books, great artist and an outstanding, unique voice, which doesn't make me want to end my life like Joanna Newsom does on occasions. Thanks for the links. Two top notch songs.

My Blog (album of the day): http://musicfromthesouth.blogspot.com
zeppy111 is offline   Reply With Quote