Music Banter - View Single Post - Runners thread
Thread: Runners thread
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2009, 09:02 PM   #37 (permalink)
TheBig3
killedmyraindog

Quote:
Originally Posted by anticipation View Post
I spent 6 years doing track and cross country, competed in sectionals and regionals in high school. Saying that there's no equivlent challenge to running in athletics is idiotic and incredibly ignorant. Running is something everyone is born knowing how to do and the only thing that separates most professionals from amatuers is experience and level of conditioning. To my knowledge no one is born knowing how to play hockey, be a quarterback, play tennis, etc etc. What sports have you ever played a high level? I'm guessing none or you wouldn't have said such a stupid thing.
You'll note I never said that. Just the same, being born knowing how to do something, and that thing being a challenge are not related. Most people I know can move chess pieces correctly, few know how to play chess.

Endurance sports are the only real challenge because its not about who caught lucky breaks, or who's team showed up in force that day. Its a challenge because no ones there to carry you, you can't sit the bench and let your team take the heat when you can't. You're left out there, for long periods of time, on your own. Theres no one to confer with, or to give you support. Its a challenge because, as your body breaks down, and your muscles and nervous system tell you to do anything but keep going, you do.

Endurance sports are not just a test of a mans body, but his mind and spirit as well. And as I write that line, I suppose I have to agree with you, Anti. Some folks are born with that temperament, they know how to keep going. Some just never will have it, no matter how much they want it. I guess maybe that's why there are team sports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaSho View Post
Running my first 5K ever on Saturday. Yay.
Good luck man. You feel ready?

Last edited by TheBig3; 08-26-2009 at 09:07 PM.
TheBig3 is offline   Reply With Quote