Music Banter - View Single Post - Your Day
Thread: Your Day
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2009, 08:08 AM   #9567 (permalink)
simplephysics
you know what it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsy View Post
My grandmother, my last remaining grandparent, actually, is in a home being cared for because she cannot function alone anymore... I haven't seen her in three years since I moved to the US and to be honest I doubt she'd remember who I am, and as for recognizing her great grandkids... well that one is completely out of the picture...

Alzheimers, dementia, whatever it is is a brutal thing indeed.
I've been working at a retirement home for going on 3 years now and there are residents who have been there longer than me that still don't remember my name. There's a woman there who recently lost her husband a little over a month ago (they lived together in the home) and she comes up to the front office at least once a day to ask where he is.. it's heartbreaking. With illnesses like Alzheimers and dementia, the best thing you can do is just go along with it honestly, while still trying to point them in the right directon.. and a visit from the family every now and then helps more than people realize I think.
I could be cute if I wanted to be, I just choose not to because you wouldn't be able to handle yourself.
simplephysics is offline   Reply With Quote