Music Banter - View Single Post - My finger don't ****ing bend that way!
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2009, 07:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schizotypic View Post
Sorry to respond late, just woke-up. Anyway I figured out- and no Tore, I didn't confuse the fingers, I confused the strings! I had the whole chord upside down.

Wow this is embarrassing! It was like five in the morning and I was tired and kind of emotional at the moment, so, maybe that had something to do with it... anyway, thank you all for all of the help! I really appreciate taking you time, I got a lot of advice in here I can still use anyway.

hahaha no worries. happens to the best of us.

as for the thumb issue vegangelica is right but doesn't really go into reasons why. both methods have advantages and disadvantages.

the traditional / classical method revolves around bracing your thumb perpendicularly to the neck in a way that makes it feel like you're pinching the strings between your thumb and index finger. it's also beneficial for playing clean barre chords and dealing with the extra width of a classical guitar neck. it's a better method if you're going to be busier with your picking hand and need to maintain clear fretted notes.

the 'incorrect' / hendrixian method revolves around wrapping your thumb around the top of the neck in a way that makes it feel as though you're choking the guitar. it's a technique predominantly used on electrics by people with bigger hands. you actually use your thumb to fret the root notes of barre chords on the E string and mute the 5th note on the A string. you won't get the cleanest sounding chord this way but it changes the position of your fingers in a way that frees up an extra digit while playing to throw in all the extra frills.

ultimately neither style is really better than the other. it's about what feels right for you and provides you with the ability to play what you want to hear. personally i alternate between both depending on what i want to achieve.

one final thing to remember absolutely. if you feel any sort of pain or discomfort TAKE A BREAK and readjust your posture. especially if you notice cramping or burning sensations in your wrist or the top of your hand. you do have to deal with pain in your fingertips as the callouses develop but joint and muscle pain is NOT part of the package.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote