Music Banter - View Single Post - How in God's Name do you Market Yourself?
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2009, 09:09 AM   #10 (permalink)
dothetrikey
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by music_phantom13 View Post
Wow quite the nice diverse music taste. Those are some of my favorites from your list. You're really going to like it here if you stick around.

As far as marketing yourself, a lot of it comes from getting hyped... major labels help those bands a lot. Especially from your description other artists in your genre, who probably claim to be indie bands and have an "independent" label that is actually just an extension of a major label. If you could get in Pitchfork or some big music magazine somehow you'd probably get a lot of listeners... lots of people like to be told what to listen to. Not saying I think this is what you should do, but if you're looking to get popular that's gonna help a lot. Don't know how you would go around accomplishing that though... Other than that, just be really amazing and set yourself apart from other bands by developing a unique sound. Good luck!
Thanks man! I appreciate how everyone said nice things about my musical tastes. I like a lot of different stuff... and a LOT of eighties music.
Could be true. You hear about artists "breaking it" on youtube... and I've seen vloggers/ musicians/ comedians get a pretty decent fan base on youtube, to the extent that they can easily get 100,000 hits on each video. Young guys too. I don't really know the secret. Whatevs.

As for us, we post things about two or three times a week; sometimes a funny video, a song, a vlog... whatever. I like the internet and this day and age, and how people can market themselves... it's pretty great. But to make the BIG STEP... yeah, who knows? Major labels, sure... but that's a long shot to get onto one of those. There's something nice about DIY, though, I must say. To feel independant, at least for awhile... drumming up interest in yourself by perservering and being faithful w/ vlogs, blogs etc etc... and playing live, of course. That has been the NUMBER ONE best thing for us and getting fans/ generating interest...