Music Banter - View Single Post - Phantom's Music, Musings, and Musical Musings
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2009, 10:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
music_phantom13
Music Addict

I'll try to stick with albums that were released during the summer, but since I'm just starting I may go back a bit closer to the beginning of the year. But, I doubt anyone cares anyway so I should be good.

Timber Timbre - Timber Timbre

The song is Lay Down in the Tall Grass; it's only a minute and a half of it and I have no idea what the video is but it's all i could find. Timber Timbre is a pretty unique blues band, with Taylor Kirk's warbly voice creating a strange mix of a haunting but warm sound. I usually don't like blues, but really enjoyed this album; it's pretty unique. The songs are relatively simple but strangely enthralling. Better than their first album. Highly recommended.

Mount Eerie - Wind's Poem

The song here is Between Two Mysteries. Wind's Poem is a strange combination of folk, noise, and perhaps a little bit of black metal or dark ambient thrown in. It makes for a very interesting combination; obviously not all of the songs are noise/drone heavy as the one I posted isn't. I guess I'd recommend it if you can stand noise and like folk or vice versa. I don't really know how else to describe this, just listen to it.

Netherfriends - Calling You Out EP

The song is Friends with Lofts. If I have to tell you who their main influence is you probably won't like them anyway. That said, the band does deviate a bit from AC, focusing more on singing and creating melodic songs than a lot of the latters psychedelic heavy songs. They sound like they have some influences of Portugal. the Man mixed in there too. Worth watching; if they can just go a little further in the creative process to develop a bit more of their own sound they'll probably be a fantastic band.

Fruit Bats - The Ruminant Band

The song is The Ruminant Band. The Fruit Bats are fun, enjoyable poppy indie folk band with, some country influences. This is my only problem with it, some of the songs get a little to into the steel guitar and deviate a bit far from the folk/rock sound for me. But overall, The Ruminant Band is great, and borrows heavily from the 70's (definite Neil Young, Three Dog Night, and the like influences). The lyrics are pretty good too, creating characters and telling stories through them.

And much more soon to come!
music_phantom13 is offline   Reply With Quote