Music Banter - View Single Post - Hi, I'm Stephen Taylor
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2009, 10:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Hi, Stephen,

Yes, I'm happy to have a chance to be alive, too, and often very glad to be growing older because I recall the friends I've had who have not been so lucky.

I listened to some of your duo's songs and watched the videos on your website! The songs I have heard so far all sounded quite uplifting and funny (the moodiness with the capital M didn't seem so apparent to me, although perhaps in the Pony song). I was quite amused by the jogging song video and the clever lyrics that I think I would have to read to catch entirely. I enjoyed the quirkiness of your music. You both appear to be having such fun being creative and being yourselves by sometimes pretending *not* to be yourselves, if that makes sense.

My story...hmmm...I think my life is best described by an elementary school teacher who said of me that I like science, but my heart is in art. I've always felt very aware of the sentience of others, including non-human animals. I decided to follow my intellectual/emotional interests by building a career in biology, but have been playing musical instruments since I was a child and continue to play the violin in an orchestra in Iowa.

When I turned 40 I decided, quite suddenly, to learn to play the electric guitar and drums and put some of my vegan poems to music, plus write new vegan songs. My reason for this decision: I felt vegan music may be a quick, emotional way to offer people information about the environmental, health, and animal welfare benefits of plant-based diets, as well as inform them about the broader lifestyle choice of veganism, which I define as reducing the suffering of sentient beings and trying to help them live their lives as long as they can. Not many people may take the time to visit the Harvard School of Public Health's nutrition webpage about the benefits of plant-based diets, but people *might* listen to a 4-minute song. As a vegan, raising a vegetarian child, I noticed few vegan songs in existence and so decided to try to fill that niche. I have found that I love writing songs and practicing/recording them much more than I ever imagined I would when I began this new musical phase of my life. So, I can imagine your happiness about starting a new song, Stephen!

--Erica
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"

Last edited by VEGANGELICA; 08-28-2009 at 10:43 AM.
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote