Music Banter - View Single Post - Phantom's Music, Musings, and Musical Musings
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2009, 09:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
music_phantom13
Music Addict

Time for two of my favorite albums so far this year, and something you may be expecting if you know my taste in music:

Sonic Youth - Eternal

That's a little preview of a bunch of songs from the album; to be perfectly honest I didn't even listen to the whole thing so I'm not sure what songs are in it. But, this is a great album. It's like a culmination of everything Sonic Youth has done so far, combining the poppy more accessible Rather Ripped with the experimental rock sound fans loved from Daydream Nation. SY is one of the few bands I can think of that can release an album 25, 30 years after forming that is actually better than a large part of their discography. They continue evolving their sound as they grow, and I'd have to say I think the departure from Geffen and signing to Matador was a great thing for them, if that's what this album is a sign of. Not to say I didn't enjoy Rather Ripped, but it wasn't really a Sonic Youth album.

Dinosaur Jr. - Farm

The song is Pieces, the first track from the album. Farm is just what I'd expect to here from Dinosaur Jr these days - good, earnest, loud rock. The album's a lot like previous releases post Bug, aka their more polished major label sound (after their departure from their first 2(or 3) noise heavy records). While it can't combat You're Living All Over Me or Bug, it's definitely a continuance of the sound many of us love, and I'd be happy if they continued without change as long as they can make music. Especially with Lou Barlow back. And... I get to see them 2 weeks after I get my brace off!
music_phantom13 is offline   Reply With Quote