Music Banter - View Single Post - The Cake Discography Thread
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2009, 10:13 AM   #28 (permalink)
TheBig3
killedmyraindog

The following quote came from a deleted post, and a banned poster who was likely spamming. Only the mods can see the post but I thought this chap - whoever he was - made enough of a point that I wanted to address it. (jackhammer, you remember when he got the boot?)

Quote:
But to say it’s a country album would be misleading and if your impression of Cake was that they were too clever, they’re not letting that one go very easily. While aforementioned tracks might play well in the heartland, the “intellectual” openings of Rock & Roll Lifestyle and Mr. Mastodon’s Farm are more suited for the night clubs and poetry slams (respectively) of a major metropolitan area’s. The former, tackling the idea of American wastefulness sounds more Talking Heads than Wayland Jennings, The latter starts with a Virginia Wolfe stream-of-consciousness ramble that the band eventually picks up on and runs with.

But the bands true strength lies in its simplistic observation of life in the artistic doldrums of Sacramento. On tracks like Ruby Sees All, Jolene, and I Bombed Korea every night, McCrea objectively details the disaster and heartbreak that can be found on any barstool in America. Korea brings us a matter-of-fact lament from what could be a war veteran, or simply any aging man looking back on his youth and acknowledging that his actions were less than informed

Thanks

Gaurav
To paint this album (Motorcade) as simply a cheese-eating liberal album is a little ridiculous. The lyrics of a few of the songs are less country than Wayland Jennings, sure, but I won't say Jennings defines country. And with the Buck Owens/Nashville split that happened forever ago, not to mention what changes the Texan country musicians bring to the table, I think its unfair to define country music with one artist, and its unfair to say Cake isn't.

Admittedly, the lyrics aren't as country as the music. but the simple observations of life, the Hemmingway directness, which is more Willie Nelson than Trace Adkins is certainly country. If you were still here I'd ask you to explain further, but if anyone else feels the same, feel free to do so.