Music Banter - View Single Post - Creed
Thread: Creed
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2009, 03:51 PM   #51 (permalink)
adidasss
Slavic gay sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by khfreek View Post
Not everyone can do it, but most can (or rather, the people the bands work with can do it). Whether any lame rapper or pop artist makes it these days is based purely on what record label they're represented by. You don't see the Rihanna's and Katy Perry's of the world slowing gaining appeal by word of mouth; their record company promotes them enough by getting their music videos on TV and their songs on the radio, and the mindless masses take it from there.
Really? So they're all just talentless people who write garbage and the only reason people buy it is because it's on TV? C'mon man...And Good girl gone bad is one of the best pop albums of the decade. :\

Quote:
For example, Creed released their first album on an independent label to little response. They sign to Wind-up Records, a subsidiary of Sony BMG, and the re-released album goes into the Top 40. Definitely not a coincedence. So from those points we can conclude that the quality, remaining the same between the two releases of the album, did not have an effect on their major success; it was the label.
Ok, yes, I'm not disputing that, but this is 1997 we're talking about. Sure, it's much more likely that a band will gain success if they're promoted by a major label, but I haven't noticed The Mars Volta pushing as many units as Creed or Rihanna, even though they're all on major labels (right?). For every Creed, there are dozens of bands on major labels that never came close to that level of success.

So, yeah, I'd say the music plays a great part in a band's success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteater View Post
Yep, and the only people who end up getting on major labels these days have to meet whatever critera the label wants in the music they promote.
I'm pretty sure every label has some criteria of the music they want to promote....:\

Last.fm
adidasss is offline   Reply With Quote