Music Banter - View Single Post - Family and Children's Music
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2009, 06:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Default Family and Children's Music

Are you someone who spends time with young kids and seeks songs for them to sing that you enjoy, too? If so, then this thread about "family and children's folk music" may be for you!

"Family music" is intended to appeal to both children and adults, while "children's music" is often created especially with young children in mind. Both are usually passed down from generation to generation as people learn the songs by singing them as children, then grow up and teach these songs to the children in their lives.

Here are some questions you may wish to answer in your post:
(1) What family or children's music did you enjoy when you were a young child or have you learned about and like now that you are older?
(2) What was the message of these songs? What did they teach you about the world? What did you like best about your favorite songs?
(3) What family or children's songs do you dislike and why? (For example, I tend not to like extremely simplistic or overly idealistic children's songs.)

"Jump up," by Dan Zanes and Friends, is an example of "family music." Dan Zanes was part of the 1980s band called The Del Fuegos and is now the front man of the Grammy winning group, Dan Zanes and Friends. I first saw the "Jump up" video while watching Sesame Street several years ago and remember thinking it was a very catchy, upbeat song, although rather simplistic. Only after joining MusicBanter did I think of investigating who made the song and thus stumbled upon "Family music."

Here is the video for you to watch:
YouTube - dan zanes "jump up"
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote