Music Banter - View Single Post - Guy's Gallivant Into Music
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2009, 05:05 AM   #21 (permalink)
zeppy111
16, so?

Default Weekly Albums #8

Album: 1. King Crimson – In The Court Of The Crimson King
Year: 1969
Genre: Progressive Rock

Crimson’s debut, has been a momentous album since it was released back in 1969 and influential to countless amounts of bands and just normal people alike, for good reason.

The reason is that you can’t pinpoint a spot during the album where you think, “Hey, that is out of place/I am getting bored of this.” It is gripping and captivates the mind from track one to the last beat of the album.

It is beautifully constructed and set out, no dull points that cause a lapse in concentration or affection. Robert always has been highly regarded as a musician, this album is probably the finest showcase of that, beautiful guitar work, jazzy snippets, odd little instrument pieces thrown in every once in awhile.

The most delightful thing is: It was the first of about 6 amazing albums by KC, this foreshadowing what was to come.

Highlight: Epitaph

Album: 2. Hawkwind – Warrior on the Edge of Time
Year: 1975
Genre: Space

When we talk about an album, we say we listen to it and that we either enjoy it or not, but is it possible to not listen to an album, instead be taken on a trip by it? Last week I talked about Velvet Underground being an experience being overcome by the music and taken into a world-less trance. But…

It may be a pun on space as they belong or are associated with the Space/Space Rock genre and that when I listen to this album, I once again get drawn into another place, but this time one with meaning and direction. It feels as if I am being taken off into space and to another world. Whether it is the alienated selection of sounds and effects that are chosen to create the setting of the album or the spaced out guitar riffs when at times take a back seat and personally this is when they are at their best. The vocal on-top of that once again add to mood, with it fitting the bill perfectly.

Highlight: Assault & Battery Part 1

Album: 3. The Fugazi – 13 Songs
Year: 1989
Genre: Post-Hardcore

13 songs is a compilation album of Fugazi’s that tie up their first two EP’s, with about six or seven tracks coming from each of them.

I don’t think this album is the best place to start with them, or even their best efforts, but I like the rawness and power of the album. From back to front it screams originality at me, although that may be because I don’t have much experience with this genre of music. It also contains my favourite Fugazi song, “Give Me the Cure.”

The album I do think has quite a few filler songs, but when you do come across the good songs, they are really good. The first half is personally a lot better than the second, which is almost unlistenable to me.

Highlight: Give Me the Cure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schizotypic View Post
John Martyn, not heard much of his stuff actually. But I definitely love me some great classic growers, so I'll go and look for him today. I've never heard any Scott Walker before, but that youtube video is astonishingly good! He's actually on my to get list, though, but it's gotten so big it's hard to keep track. Definitely going to try and snatch that up today as well. I love The VU&Nico, it's actually my all-time favorite album! That whole album is a highlight. Great to hear someone else is giving it a listen, Lou Reed is rad. =)

Honestly I haven't really checked out this Journal much, but a very good three picks for this time around. Thanks for passing along some inspiration and some really great music. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread from now on.
Thanks for stopping here and your input, much appreciated. I am glad you enjoyed the music, especially last weeks, i think that was the best batch yet. If you need any up's just shout. Cheers

My Blog (album of the day): http://musicfromthesouth.blogspot.com
zeppy111 is offline   Reply With Quote