Music Banter - View Single Post - Do we really exist?
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2009, 01:45 AM   #76 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

VL, I don't really think your arguments make much sense to start with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieLover
Everything we learn is built upon what we already know. If we don't know anything for 100% sure (which, in my opinion, we don't) then we can't define "laws" or anything.
So observational evidence that everything falls downwards is not good enough to start formulate a theory of gravity. We can't know that such a law is correct, so there's no point, no practical use?

I don't agree, we figure out laws and we put them in practice and in the end, we get stuff like the computer you're using now. Even if the law of gravity is not formulated with 100% correctness, we can put people on the moon or send satellites to Jupiter. It sounds like you're insinuating that despite all the knowledge and obvious benefits, there's no point in the pursuit of knowledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieLover
There's a reason everything is called a theory in science, we can't know for sure! We can gather "scientific evidence" that makes these theories make enough sense to be assumed true, but there is (almost) always some exception to the rule. If these exceptions are taken into account, our "knowledge" can maybe become more and more accurate, but our little human existence hasn't been scientifically inclined for nearly long enough.
"Theory" is used in scientific termonology. Just in case you don't know, "theory" is the highest level of credibility you can get to in science. They are supported by hypotheses which are typically based on observational evidence and experiments.

I just want to specify that the theory of gravity is not called a "theory" because we're unsure of wether or not you're gonna fall a long way down if you jump off the empire state building.

To think of the pursuit of knowledge as pointless or fruitless unless you can understand everything is dumb. Just look at all the technological thingies we surround ourselves with and for the most part appreciate.