Music Banter - View Single Post - Batch Programming
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2009, 08:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Seltzer
Fish in the percolator!

I haven't done that much batch programming in DOS - I've spent more time doing BASH stuff in Linux. But DOS and batch programming shouldn't be underestimated... Back in high school I was trying to gain access to a local hard drive and there were all these fancy security restrictions in place so that only network drives could be opened. As soon as you opened C in explorer, the window would close and iirc, local drives were protected from basic DOS browsing etc. But I was able to gain access by opening DOS and typing subst z: c:\ which creates a completely unrestricted virtual Z drive mirroring the contents of c:. That's what they get for ignoring low level DOS security.

Dijkstra once said that it's almost impossible to teach good programming to students who have had prior exposure to BASIC and as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration. Well I hope not because QBasic was my first language.

Anyway I'm familiar with C, C#, Java, MATLAB, TCL/TK, SQL, AVR and MIPS assembly. I'm learning C++ now because a guy in my class recommended I apply for a job at the forklift robotics firm where he manages a few interns, and C++ is the lingua franca there. I'd like to learn Python and PHP at some point in the future.

My next personal project is to write a basic operating system but I have no idea when I'll get started because I'm quite busy atm. I'd love to do it for my fourth year project next year so that I have an excuse to spend all my time on it... but knowing the university, they'd sooner have me do choose some unnecessarily academic and pointless project from a pre-defined list. I know I'd learn a hell of a lot more from writing an OS than doing some fruitless vapid Java project.