Music Banter - View Single Post - Physical discipline against children .. okay or not?
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2009, 06:26 AM   #346 (permalink)
Astronomer
we are stardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classof75 View Post
Animals are what they are, some people believe they have "feelings" etc. like human beings do. If you need to move animals, you have to herd them, and maybe push them around (this is what I meant in my oriiginal post when I said physical discipline was "for animals", I was'nt talking about abusing them). My point really is that consideration for a child's ability to rationalise should be foremost in dealing with them when it comes to behavioural issues. Animal behaviour is different, and their ability to "rationalise" is marginal, so you have to be physical with them to make them do things. Cowboys don't ask a cow to move across a stream, they herd them. That is physical discipline, and (imo) that is o.k. for animals. Hope I have made myself clear.
I don't want to get into it too much because I know I'm going to go off-topic and open a whole new can of worms, but animals do have feelings. Animals like dogs for example are perfectly capable of showing emotions of love, fear, loyalty, shame, excitement, etc. I don't even think physical discipline on animals like dogs is necessary. When my dog does something wrong, I tell him off in a stern voice and he puts his tail between his legs and skulks off and hides because he is ashamed of himself. He doesn't need physical discipline to teach him what he isn't allowed to do.

Plus, herding cows and sheep isn't discipline. It's using physical contact to move them to one place to another. This isn't discipline; you are not aiming to teach the cows and sheep a lesson.