Music Banter - View Single Post - Do we really exist?
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2009, 08:05 AM   #78 (permalink)
VeggieLover
Music?! Lets boogie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toretorden View Post
VL, I don't really think your arguments make much sense to start with.

So observational evidence that everything falls downwards is not good enough to start formulate a theory of gravity. We can't know that such a law is correct, so there's no point, no practical use?

I don't agree, we figure out laws and we put them in practice and in the end, we get stuff like the computer you're using now. Even if the law of gravity is not formulated with 100% correctness, we can put people on the moon or send satellites to Jupiter. It sounds like you're insinuating that despite all the knowledge and obvious benefits, there's no point in the pursuit of knowledge.

"Theory" is used in scientific termonology. Just in case you don't know, "theory" is the highest level of credibility you can get to in science. They are supported by hypotheses which are typically based on observational evidence and experiments.

I just want to specify that the theory of gravity is not called a "theory" because we're unsure of wether or not you're gonna fall a long way down if you jump off the empire state building.

To think of the pursuit of knowledge as pointless or fruitless unless you can understand everything is dumb. Just look at all the technological thingies we surround ourselves with and for the most part appreciate.

Oh my, some how I've managed to totally misrepresent my point. In no way shape or form am I saying the pursuit of knowledge is pointless. Indeed, I am saying just the opposite.
Yes, I am aware that scientific theories are generally accepted as fact, and I'm not saying thats a bad thing. Where would I be if this here computer in front of me didn't exist because people thought that curiousity was pointless? You ask any scientist on the earth, and ask them if these theories are fact...100% true...and I can bet you they will say something along the lines of "no, we can't know anything for 100% sure and we're still learning, but we can gather enough evidence to form theories that appear to be true." assuming you word your question in a consice fashion.

My point is that we as humans, we with the scientific minds, need to remember to be humble about what we do and do not know. By being open to the exceptions to the rule, by thinking "well maybe if this theory was this way and this something or other did this...what would happen?" we can discover and learn so much infinitelly more than if we stayed within the confines of our own assumptions (whether they be "true" or not). Think outside of the box, and we might even find that we aren't the only box out there in the universe. (and my box I mean the conventional pieces of our own dimension and the world in which we are all accustomed to living).

You'd be amazed at home much more you can learn if you look at things from 7 different perspectives than if you looked from just yours -- Even if yours happens to be the "right" perspective, or the one you end up coming back to anyway, that theory is strengthened by experience.
"Not remotely! Because iocaine comes from Australia, as everyone knows. And Australia is entirely peopled with criminals. And criminals are used to having people not trust them as you are not trusted by me, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you."
VeggieLover is offline   Reply With Quote