Music Banter - View Single Post - Progressive metal anyone?
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2009, 10:34 AM   #34 (permalink)
Certif1ed
Music Addict

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred View Post
Some of it, though they're more based in simply rock.

Opeth is the only prog metal band that I'm into really.
All Prog Metal bands with very, very few exceptions are based on simple rock constructions and are fundamentally no more complex than Nickelback - and that includes Opeth, who sound more than a bit like Nickelback on their latest album, Watershed, to my ears.

It is not true to say that Prog Metal is a blend of Prog and Metal - this myth needs stamping on (as if old school Proggers didn't know this already in their hearts!), because generations are growing up not understanding what Prog was really about.

The term "virtuosic" appears with depressing frequency to describe music that uses often remarkable virtuosic playing techniques to create music that is, from a compositional point of view, almost entirely unremarkable - which contrasts completely with the likes of Gentle Giant.

Prog is not about lots of scale practice, owning a Mellotron or sounding a bit like Pink Floyd (or allegedly Camel, in the case of Opeth).

I know from past experience how sensitive Prog Metal fans can be, so let's clear the air immediately by saying that this post is emphatically NOT a bashing of any band (including Opeth!), merely a pointing out of home truths.
Certif1ed is offline   Reply With Quote