Music Banter - View Single Post - Learning the flute and recorder. Any tips?
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2009, 10:40 AM   #11 (permalink)
Burning Down
The Music Guru.

Ok, since I've been playing classical flute for 13 years, I'll help you! The flute has a range from middle C to 3 octaves above that. Depending on the type of flute that you have, you may also be able to play the B below middle C. Some flutes can even stretch to 4 octaves! But I'm assuming that since you're a beginner, your flute has a range of 3 octaves. That's a HUGE range, one of the biggest in a concert band setting.

It is possible to learn the flute on your own but it is VERY hard because your technique needs to be precise. I've been playing all this time and still take lessons! But I also teach beginners. There are a couple of students I have who tried to learn on their own without very much success. How they were practising or what methods they were using, I don't know, but they are very competent players now.

I don't know if you can read music, but if you can I recommend buying beginner's tone books, scale books, and some simple, fun sheet music to make learning the flute more enjoyable. Books will help you in your journey. If you can't read music, that's okay too! Buy some of those books anyways, many will teach you the basics of music theory. Most of them will also have finger charts that will show you how to play each note. Beginner's charts are easy to read and follow!

Practise a little bit every day if you can, even if it's just for 30 minutes. This will help increase your lung capacity as the flute requires a lot of breath and strong lungs. Here's a little bit on practising from one of my many exercise books:

Quote:
These points about practising in general, are important:

(a) Practise the flute only because you want to; if you don't want to - don't! It is almost useless to spend your allocated practice time wishing that you weren't practising.

(b) Having decided to practise, make it difficult. Like a pest inspector, examine every corner of you tone and technique for flaws and practise to remove them. Omly by this method will you improve quickly.

(c) Try always to practise what you can't play. Don't indulge in too much self-flattery by playing through what you can already do well.

(d) As many of the exercises are taxing, be sure you posture and hand positions are correct. It is important to consult a good teacher on these points.
As a beginner, your tone will sound airy as you haven't developed the mouth and lung strength needed to play the instrument. Don't worry, this will come with practise! Just like your fingers are callused from guitar playing, your mouth muscles, tounge, and teeth will adapt to the flute.

When standing, your posture should be: back straight and chin level with the floor. Don't puff out your chest, instead, take deep breaths that fill your abdomen without raising your shoulders. When sitting, the same rules apply. However, if your chair has a back, sit sort of on the edge of the chair. Don't lean against the back rest!

If you have more specific questions, PM me or ask them here. I'll keep checking back to this thread.

--Melanie
Burning Down is offline   Reply With Quote