Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Oasis Thread
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2009, 04:22 PM   #359 (permalink)
Mojo
Melancholia Eternally

I think Definitely Maybe is nothing short of brilliant, but each to their own of course.

For me everything released after Whats The Story was a let down, but whereas a lot of people would discredit it all completely I think theres some good stuff in there. Be Here Now was a fairly consistent record and I like it but just seemed to lack in direction and even Noel Gallagher says he can't remember recording it because he was so wasted so I guess that makes sense. After that they made a habit of releasing average to poor records but with a few good tracks in there. The new one was their first one in quite some time that I really liked, even if it isnt exactly mindblowing stuff.

1) Definitely Maybe
2) Morning Glory
3) Be Here Now
4) Dig Out Your Soul
5) Standing On The Shoulder of Giants
6) Don't Believe The Truth
7) Heathen Chemistry

6 and 7 could easily be the other way around to be honest, as could 3 and 4. The Dont Believe The Truth highlights are probably the two tracks just mentioned and the rest doesn't do a whole lot for me. Heathen Chemistry probably had more tracks to keep my interest but was very weak overall. SOTSOG is a record I actually really like. Noel gave instructions for the band (or probably just Liam) to stay sober throughout the recording of it and it marked a turning point I think in Noel growing up a bit and probably not wanting to repeat the Be Here Now sessions. I think he matured well on that record, despite it sounding like he was on more drugs than ever before what with the likes of Gas Panic, Who Feels Love and Roll It Over. I think it's got some great stuff on it but it's just a shame that it also includes quite possibly the two most dreadful Oasis songs ever recorded in Little James and Put Yer Money Where Your Mouth Is.

Last.FM | Echoes and Dust
Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote