Music Banter - View Single Post - Physical discipline against children .. okay or not?
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2009, 04:33 AM   #350 (permalink)
Classof75
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
I don't want to get into it too much because I know I'm going to go off-topic and open a whole new can of worms, but animals do have feelings. Animals like dogs for example are perfectly capable of showing emotions of love, fear, loyalty, shame, excitement, etc. I don't even think physical discipline on animals like dogs is necessary. When my dog does something wrong, I tell him off in a stern voice and he puts his tail between his legs and skulks off and hides because he is ashamed of himself. He doesn't need physical discipline to teach him what he isn't allowed to do.

Plus, herding cows and sheep isn't discipline. It's using physical contact to move them to one place to another. This isn't discipline; you are not aiming to teach the cows and sheep a lesson.
So when you train a dog on a leash, you know how to make them heel without pulling on it? Just using a "stern voice"? I understand what you were saying in your post, but "discipline" (the kind I was explaining) does not mean punishment. Animals get physical with each other to communicate, so I have no problem prodding them if they are somewhere they should not be. My dad taught their cat not to jump up on their dining room table. Only took one lesson (a good swipe).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwwSugar View Post
This is the point I was trying to make.
:]
Nice that someone else can do this for you, huh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by likuidcoka View Post
I still give a good ol fashion ass whoopin if my kids get sassy with me.
Never have had to resort to that with my kid. She is very intelligent and well behaved. She will be a sophomore in high school this year.
Classof75 is offline   Reply With Quote