Music Banter - View Single Post - The Quiet Man in the Corner
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2009, 04:30 PM   #22 (permalink)
CanwllCorfe
Quiet Man in the Corner

This is a very rare occurence.. I have too MUCH music to review! Oh well.. I'll narrow it down to three.

Electro House:

Wolfang Gartner - Firepower
Label : Kindergarten Recordings
Release : August 18th, 2009
Versions : Original

There's also a track released with this one called Latin Fever.. but it's not for me. It's minimal tech/tribal house and I just can't listen to stuff like that. It's too plain for my liking. Check it out though, you may like it. As for THIS track.. just wow. An electro house song for someone with the attention span of a hyperactive 3 year old with a rampant refusal to take ritalin. It's so fantastic. It's combining funk, electro/electro house, with maybe some disco, and even a bit of classical. When I first heard it I couldn't stay still if I tried. It's just such an intense song changing and changing and changing. From basslines that sound funk oriented to really distorted melodies out of classical music, it's just so completely different from the conventional style of club music. His last song Wolfgang's 5th Symphony was styled in the same way.. but just a lot less energetic and also way more classical influence so check that out if you like this

Progressive House:

Luigi Lusini - Imago E.P.
Label : The Clubbers
Release : July 31st, 2009
Songs : Imago, Angor, Bahamut

Imago : Absolutely gorgeous, lush, and chilled. The breakdown features an amazing flute melody and then comes out of nowhere with a really smooth and persistent melody that is quite prevalent in today's progressive house. Somehow it never gets old.. it reminds me of the beach and is just such a joy to listen to. It's a great song.. however the only real thing that differentiates it from other songs is the breakdown with the flute 8/10

Angor : I wasn't sure what this meant.. so I looked it up. As it turns out it means "a great anxiety, distress, or mental anguish". Quite a depressing sounding title.. yet it's quite a gorgeous tune! It does have a different sound from Imago in that it isn't as uplifting and does have a bit more aggression. It's definitely close to progressive tech house.. although it's more progressive. The percussion doesn't come in until around 2:00 and then there's also a 2:00 breakdown. Maybe it's just meant to balance out the slight aggression so that it doesn't come off sounding too different from the other songs. Overall.. a pretty good song but not to my liking because of it's excessively progressive nature. 6/10

Bahamut : Definitely my favorite track from the entire E.P. It has that sound that I love.. it's not too energetic you can just let it play and lounge to it. Not aggressive, not loud, not fast, not slow, it's just right in the middle. It also switches everything up with a bit of guitar and in the breakdown has a very electro-esque sounding synth that has quite a bit amount of emotion. Just an all around gorgeous tune. 9/10

Trance:

George Acosta feat. Truth - Someone (Vox Mix)
Label : Fektive Records
Release : August 24th, 2009
Other Versions : Dub Mix, Alternative Mix, Adrian Ivan Remix, Nurettin Colak Remix, Nurettin Colak Dub Remix

The general feeling of this song reminds me of the kinda stuff Markus Schulz produces. In an interview he said "..some trance is just too uplifting. So I want it a little darker.." and this song is just like that. It has the potential to be an insanely euphoric tune but George tones that down a bit and makes it a bit more well rounded. No one wants to listen to over the top, euphoric, and hair raising music all the time. The vocals from Truth are incredible as well and really make the song amazing. George also arbitrarily puts a stutter effect on them that sounds SO amazing. (If you like it as much as I do check out I'll Never Be The Same Again from Markus Schulz and Never Again from Robert Nickson). The whole tune just has this dark feeling with an underlying sense of something impending.. or just that general sound of eagerness or anxiousness. I can't see this song ever getting old soon, it's just so gorgeous on a subdued level. From an American producer nonetheless! I guess that's not as uncommon nowadays with DJ Eco, Redstar, Filo & Peri, Breakfast, Gabriel & Dresden, and Sean Tyas (although living in Sweden) all being quite prolific in the scene. Just an all around fantastic tune. 8+/10

CanwllCorfe is offline   Reply With Quote